Welcome to the World of Chewbacky! Check out our YouTube page for video and audio content of Chewbacky pickin’, grinnin’ and getting down on it all night long!
If you’d like to hear a typical Chewbacky set from one of our shows then look no further! Below are a few private event recordings made by us (iPhone) or our friends and fans!
10/22/22 SC Amphitheater Event Nuggets
Private Labor Party 2022
2022 Dinghy Party Gig
@Charleston Race Week 2022
Chewbacky 2021 Live Nuggets
Original Song – goodbye to goodbye
@ The Windjammer
Private Gig on James Island
Private Party in Cola
LMCMT Intro, Chewbacky Jam –>Second That Emotion, Heaven Sent, Call me Al, Porch Song
I Know You Rider–> In the Air Tonight–>I Wish–>Sweet Child O’ Mine
Crowd Favorites @The Dinghy on IOP
2019 Saint Chewbacky’s Day:
“Chewbacky is essentially 80’s played bluegrass style with a splash of funk. You have to see these guys!”
– Charleston City Paper
“You guys are pretty damn good, man!“
– Ted Nugent
(Chewbacky played the Motor City Madman’s daughter’s wedding in Charleston)
Formed in Charleston, SC in 2008 – Chewbacky is a unique 3-piece cover & originals band including Scott Carpenter on lead vocals and guitar, Corey Kinsella on mandolin and backup vocals and Jason Hayes on bass and backup vocals.
From 2000-2008, Scott and Corey played originals, 80’s, 90’s and rock covers all across the music scene in the Lowcountry as “Chewbacca”.
In 2008, Chewbacca was approached about playing a large, local “bluegrass-only” festival. At that time, Chewbacca had been incorporating a handful of bluegrass songs in their rock sets, but bluegrass was not their main focus. In order to round out their sound for the festival, they decided to team up with guitarist/bass player, Jason Hayes.
In an effort to create a sound they had not heard from any local bands (and partly because of their lack of real, traditional bluegrass chops at the time) – the three musicians decided to play 80’s hits from bands like Talking Heads, Lionel Richie & Duran Duran – in bluegrass style. Chewbacca became “Chewbacky” and the rest is history…
Chewbacky is a cover band that also writes and performs original songs. What is unique about Chewbacky?
- Many of our covers are custom arranged to be different from the originals
- We are multi-genre and we often fuse multiple songs into one arrangement with the most common flavor being 80’s cover songs played bluegrass style, (which is how we started)
- You can’t put us in a box. If Chewbacky was a CD in an old school “Disc and Tape Music Shop”, we would be in the back corner under the “Mix, Jazz, Other” Category.
Chewbacky has over 400 songs with new ones being added constantly. We encourage our clients to customize our set lists and we always learn your favorite songs for your event if we don’t currently play it.
Chewbacky plays songs in these genres:
- Strong focus on Bluegrass, Funk & 80’s favorites
- 60’s, 70, 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s and beyond
- Yacht Rock, East Listening and Solid Gold
- Bluegrass & Country
- Classic Rock & Southern Rock
- Soft Rock/Easy Listening
- R&B, Soul & Dance Music
- Rap, with a strong focus on “old school rap”
- Traditional Wedding Music
- Mexican Grunge
- Middle Eastern Heavy Metal
- Modern Gregorian Chant
Chewbacky is available for booking events in Charleston and surrounding areas:
- Company Events/Special events
- Wedding Ceremonies/Rehearsal Dinners/Receptions